19.6.13

Cupid’s Measles or The Carly – Yup! It’s the Nasty Cold Sore Edition


Practicing dermatology in the free world I was quiet accustomed to seeing the very frequent cases of kissing sores, as around 90% of the population in Europe & America’s is reported to suffer at the hands of the pesky herpes labialis virus. Practicing in Jeddah considering the conservative religious population I was not betting on seeing as much of the darned cold sores. But, the gnarly, massive cold sore; which once you exhibit gets passed on through awkward conversations, and the evil icy stares is an incidence; which is being brought to derma practices in the region quiet frequently. So read along as, its time to brush up & update medical info. Herpes labialis is the infection of the lips, mouth, or gums with the herpes simplex virus. It leads to the development of small, painful blisters commonly called cold sores or fever blisters.

The Cause & Course:

Herpes labialis is caused by infection of the mouth area with herpes simplex virus type 1. Most people in the United States and Europe are infected with this virus by age 20.

The initial infection may cause no symptoms or mouth ulcers. The virus then remains dormant (asleep) in the nerve tissue of the face. In some people, the virus reactivates and produces recurrent cold sores that are usually in the same area, but are not serious.

Herpes virus type 2, which usually causes genital herpes and can infect babies during birth to infected mothers, can also cause herpes labialis.

Herpes viruses are contagious. Spread may occur through intimate and personal contact, or through contact with infected razors, towels, dishes, and other shared articles (razors, toothbrush, makeup brushes and sponges etc.). Occasionally, oral-to-genital contact can also spread oral herpes to the genitals (and vice versa).

Symptoms

First symptoms usually appear within 1 to 3 weeks, after contact with the virus. Sore throat and fever that can last up to 5 days may occur before the blisters appear. There may also be swollen glands in the neck.
First episode may last 2 to 3 weeks. The lesions may be on the gums, in the mouth and throat, or on the face. It may hurt to swallow. Later episodes are usually milder.

An outbreak usually involves:
  • Skin lesions or rash around the lips, mouth, and gums
  • Small blisters (vesicles) filled with clear yellowish fluid
  • Blisters on a raised, red, painful skin area
  • Blisters that form, break, and ooze
  • Yellow crusts that slough to reveal pink, healing skin
  • Several smaller blisters that merge to form a larger blister

Episode Triggers: May be triggered by menstruation, sun exposure, fever, stress, or various other unknown causes.
Warning symptoms of itching, burning, increased sensitivity, or tingling sensation may occur about 2 days before lesions appear.

Exams and Tests
Diagnosis is made on the basis of the appearance or culture of the lesion. Examination may also show swollen lymph nodes in the neck or groin areas.
Viral culture, viral DNA test, or Tzanck test of the skin lesion may reveal the herpes simplex virus.

Treatment
·      Untreated, the symptoms will generally go away in 1 to 2 weeks. Antiviral medications taken by mouth may help the symptoms go away sooner and decrease pain. Acyclovir, Famciclovir, and Valacyclovir are the three oral treatments currently available.

·      Herpes sores often come back again and again. The antiviral medicines work best if you take them when the virus is just starting to come back -- before you see any sores. If the virus returns frequently, your doctor may recommend that you take the medicines all the time.

·      Topical (rubbed onto the skin) antiviral cream (penciclovir andaacyclovir) and Xerese (acyclovir 5% and hydrocortisone 1%) may be used. Cream must be applied every 2 hours while you're awake. They are expensive and often only shorten the outbreak by a few hours to a day.

·      Washing blisters gently with soap and water to reduce the spread of the virus to other areas of skin. An antiseptic soap may also be used to avoid further bacterial contamination of the open sore. Applying ice or warmth to the area may reduce pain.

Tips To Prevent Future Outbreaks

·      Apply a sunblock or lip balm containing zinc oxide to the lips when you're outdoors.
·      A moisturizing balm to prevent the lips from becoming too dry may also help.

What Future Holds In Terms Of Treatments:

Existing treatments can minimize or even prevent an outbreak, but they do not kill the virus which lies dormant when it is not activated. Scientists believe they have finally found a permanent cure for cold sores. They say the treatment, a lotion, will be the first to kill the virus that causes the sores.

A new treatment (NB001) lotion has been developed that not only halts the attack, but also kills the virus. This treatment lotion has been developed as a by-product of biological warfare technology, which actually kills the virus by exploding it from the inside. It is made up of nano-particles of detergent and solvents in emulsion. These particles are so small that they penetrate the outer coating of the virus and destroy its effectiveness. The lotion will also work for genital herpes, a sexually transmitted disease, and it is being looked at as a potential treatment for a range of other viruses, including HIV, Ebola and smallpox. Currently studies are ongoing to assess the safety and efficacy of this new emulsion and we await results.

Researchers have also been working on a twice-a-day pill to prevent the cold sore from growing by attacking the DNA of the virus. The aim is to meet the virus head-on as it emerges into the lip or skin tissue and to stop it multiplying and forming bumps or blisters. The drug gets into the DNA of the virus and turns off its ability to replicate, stopping it from reproducing itself and expanding.

The bottom line

Your best bet is to treat cold sores at the first sign of symptoms with topical or oral anti-viral treatment, and to prevent an outbreak by getting enough sleep, eating a well-balanced diet and exercising (the same way you would avoid coming down with any other virus).

Keep lips moisturized through lip balms and by drinking plenty of water, and apply sunscreen regularly if spending time outside. While you’ll carry the virus forever, you needn’t suffer because of it: just keep your immune system boosted and treat cold sores immediately to reclaim control.

6 comments:

  1. During my time I was diagnosed of Herpes and HIV/Aids I was advised not to speak to certain people about my Health “orthodox side” because they’re all lying shills and sociopaths or not take seriously scientific information on HIV because according to the denialists it’s all propaganda from the “AIDS establishment”. I decided to do some search, Rethinking AIDS and Herpes denialism in general, it caused a wave of attacks against Herbal Medicine and medicated drugs, anger, disbelief and insults with some members even alluding to the fact that I was the leader of Rethinking AIDS at the time. Of course I wasn’t and I always reminded them that I was and independent even if I was positive of those diseases. I come across a search on how Dr Itua cure people suffering from, Herpes, HIV/Aids, Hepatitis, Cancer, Epilepsy,Copd, then I decided to give a try although i have had a lot of stories about Nigeria scam so I was scared of it at first then I had a second thought telling me to give a try so i finally order for it and it was sent to me through courier service and I take it for two weeks and I was healed, I still find it difficult today to be real I'm living for a year now without outbreak or taking ARV Drugs, I'm supporting Dr Itua Herbal Center and also promoting his herbal medicine online for people suffering from any kind of disease to contact him on Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number On...+2348149277967. At this point of view regarding HIV/AIDS, HERPES, GENITALS, WART, COLD SORE. You can say I was very involved with the movement; I spoke on radio shows about Dr Itua, filmed my own YouTube videos, wrote my own articles about Dr Itua and attempted to inform every person I could about this information. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friends!
    I am Tessie Chris by name and i want to use this great opportunity to
    share with you some great and amazing testimony of how i was cured from HIV
    Virus with the help of Dr idahosa Herbal Medicine.
    Over 2 years now i have been suffering and living in pain with this deadly
    virus HIV, fear grew in my mind everyday as i heard there is no cure for
    it, but to me i knew that medical drugs was not the only option in treating
    viruses and infection, my greatest problem was that i was stocked in pain
    as the symptoms has circulated over my body.
    Few Months ago i decided to get more information online concerning HIV,and
    while i was surfing the web, i came across some great testimonials from
    various people on how Dr idahosa has been using his herbal medicine to cure
    different disease, at first i was shocked as i have never heard of such
    thing before, and also i doubted if it was true as it never came up on
    media, these people gave out the email address of Dr idahosa and advised we
    contact him for any problem, though i was doubting him i decided to put a
    test on it, moreover it was the first time for me to hear something like
    that, i copied the email address of Dr idahosa and i sent him a message
    about my health status and i also requested for his medicine in order for
    me to get good health, he gave me a responded after some hours and he told
    me the procedure involved in order for me to get his medicine, he also said
    to me he was going to send me some herbal liquid medicine which was going
    to take for 2 weeks and after 2 weeks i will be totally cured.
    I went with Dr idahosa and i followed exactly as i was told by this man,
    after 3 to 5 days of communication i eventually received a package from the
    mailing service and that was the medicine sent by Dr idahosa.
    I started taking the medicine as i was directed by Dr idahosa and after 2
    weeks i also started seen some changes on my skin, and after a month passed
    i noticed that the rashes on my skin are cleared, i was surprised and i had
    a thought to myself again LIKE! IS THIS REALLY WORKING OUT? when i noticed
    this changes i contacted this Great Dr and i told him about it, he told me
    to go to the hospital and do some check up if the virus is still there, i
    actually went to the hospital on Friday to do some test on my blood and
    after 3 days the result came out that i was completely free from Hiv, still
    many people will not believe this, but it did really works.
    Dr idahosa is a brave man and he is set to answer all human disease, today
    i am living in good health as just with a test i conquered my pain and
    sorrow, Please you can contact Dr idahosa for any problem with the email
    below:(dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com) or call him +2348134261542,
    Thanks for reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My iGg tested <0.9 after 12 weeks of taking Dr Bayo Ewebe's herbal medicine, I tried so many things in the past but this worked for me. Anyone still living with herpes or any other STD should give it a try I'm very sure you'd be happy you did, the email is Dr.bayoherbalkingdom@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my first outbreaks and I was tested back in 2010 for both HSV-1 and
    HSV-2. Both my husband and I tested positive for HSV-1. Last year I found
    out my husband was cheating, so I decided to do a retest on all STDs
    including HSV-1 and HSV-2, only difference is that this time I went to a
    different clinic. Anyway I tested positive for HSV-1 which I knew I had but
    surprisingly HSV-2 as well, I was so upset and got divorced with my
    husband. 3 months ago a friend of mine recommended me to an African Herbal
    doctor DR.Alfred. I explained everything that I have been passing through
    all these years to him and he encouraged me that I will be cured
    completely!. I ordered for his herbal exploit/medicine and used it
    accordingly to his direction and within short period of using the herbal
    medicine I was cured completely from my HSV-1 and HSV-2. I'm so relieved to
    say that I've not had even one outbreak ever since again and I was also
    tested Negative by my doctor. I'm feeling so great! from within and I truly
    endorse this product, it really works. His herbal medicine is very active
    and effective.and he can cast spell to restore broken marriages,and other
    can of cure for #HERPES, #DIABETES, #CANCER, #HEPATITIS, #HPV..... You can
    contactl doctor alfred on email.....dralfrednaturalcurehome@gmail.com and
    you can call/whatsapp him with +2348119017866 for your own cure too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.
     Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with a godly heart. Well - everything I decided all went through for me and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
    Dr Itua Contact Information.
    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.comWhatsapp Number....+2348149277967        

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (Hsv) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr Ehimare helped someone in curing his (Hsv) herpes disease, quickly I copied his email which is drehimare3@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on Drehimare3@gmail.com Or whatsapp him via +1 (267) 691-1087

    ReplyDelete